7 Councils form ‘Association of South Essex Local Authorities’ (ASELA) in early 2018.
Appears to be a very secretive organisation which THE COUNCILS do not want minutes known.
NOW ADVISED MEETINGS ARE not formal meetings and as such are not formally minuted.
THEREFORE, ONLY COUNCILLORS KNOW DECISIONS MADE & THEN REFER BACK TO THEIR OWN COUNCIL
QUESTION: DOES this Association benefit Basildon residents or just councillors??? (AUGUST 2018)
Essex CC, Basildon, Brentwood, Castle Point BCs, Rochford DC, Southend-on-Sea and Thurrock Council Understand aims are:
- Improve transport connectivity
- Unlock land for housing
- Drive business and leisure development
(From Southend-on-Sea website which states)
All seven councils have recognised the need to work across borders on strategic issues such as infrastructure, planning and growth, skills, housing and transport connectivity. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed on 10 January 2018.
Core Purpose and aims in Memorandum of Understanding.
2.1. The core purpose of ASELA is to provide place leadership for South Essex. Recognising that through our collaborative approach we will be best placed to develop and deliver a vision for South Essex up to 2050, promoting healthy growth for our communities.
2.2. ASLEA will focus on the strategic opportunities, regardless of individual local
authority boundaries for the South Essex economic corridor to influence and secure the strategic infrastructure that will help our individual areas to flourish and realise their full economic and social potential.
2.3. The aims of ASELA will be to:
- Provide place leadership;
- Open up spaces for housing, business and leisure development by developing a spatial strategy;
- Transform transport connectivity;
- Support our 7 sectors of industrial opportunity;
- Shape local labour & skill markets;
- Create a fully digitally-enabled place;
- Secure a sustainable energy supply;
- Influence and secure funding for necessary strategic infrastructure;
- Enhance health and social care through co-ordinated planning; and
- Work with and provide a voice for South Essex to the Thames Estuary 2050 Growth Commission and Commissioners.
CURRENTLY FINDING OUT MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS ASSOCIATION